Tuesday 29 December 2015

December 27th - My cultural background

December 27th
I am grateful for my cultural background. I honestly have not been grateful for this for many many years, feeling scared of what people thought of my, thinking I am either second class or incompetent in any situation.

But I am grateful that I have taken a few moments to learn about my Sri Lankan background from my parents and nana, which has helped me understand so much about myself which didn't make sense for so many years. I have learnt and understood how my mum and dad have grown up and in a way, the psychology and reasons for why they said or did things for me when I was a child and teenager.

I am grateful for the lifestyle of Sri Lanka, back then and now. I am grateful that the culture is growing and flourishing to survive in the world today. I am grateful for all it has taught my parents in their home country and in Australia. I am grateful for the cuisines that are brought to our Australian land, the genuine techniques to do certain things here and adapting to Australia in a Sri Lankan style.

No comments:

Post a Comment