Sunday 11 January 2015

January 11th - My In-laws

January 11th
I am grateful for my In-laws. This is to say, I am grateful for my father and mother in law, my wife's sister and brother, their husband and girlfriend, and my nieces and nephew. The first moments I met them, they made me feel welcomed into their family. Meeting them for the first time was a nervous time but I remember it to be easy going and friendly. Nothing has changed. And I thank them for not being scary :)

They have been a great example to my wife. They have been understanding and helpful to her many times, especially the tough and challenging times. I have heard many stories of the past when my wife was younger, and they would have a laugh at the funny things she did, they encouraged her when she achieved goals and accomplishments, allowed her to make decisions on her own but would subtly guide her if she was not on the right track. They have always been there for her and been supportive in many ways, and the continued giving that love and support to her especially during the times of our engagement. They were always there to lend a hand when we needed it, giving us their honest opinion on the ideas we had, and gave us many ideas to add to the wedding, some we even took on board. My wife would not be the person she is today if it wasn't for them, and I thank them for being constantly being there for her.

I am grateful for the impact they have made on me. Their examples of positivity stands out. They always seem to see life as a fun, bright and enjoyable time, wanting to make the most of it. They have been encouraging in all that I have done, always showing interest in what ever tasks I do, whether it would be big, small, subtle or absolutely crazy. I especially remembering the time I went to my wife's parents house to ask for their daughters hand in marriage. I have never been so nervous in meeting them as I did at that very moment, in fact I had never been nervous meeting up with them ever. As I got to their house, they welcomed me in, sat me down, asked me if I wanted a cuppa, asked me how work is, you know, the general conversation you would usually have with family. And with sweaty and possibly shaky palms, I asked them if I could marry their daughter. They immediately said yes, followed by thanking me for finally taking her off their hand hahaha. And they welcomed me with a hearty handshake and a big hug. It felt so good being accepted by such an awesome family, and I'm not saying that to suck up. My mother in law suspected the proposal was on the agenda when I surprisingly turned up at their doorstep looking absolutely nervous. I guess my poker face was off. They continued telling me they are happy to have me in their family, and I will be forever grateful for that.
I am grateful to have them as my family. They have treated me like their own son. brother and uncle, accepting my cheeky humour, sometimes getting in trouble and receiving a slap on the wrist, being told not to encourage cheeky behaviour (mostly teaming up with my nieces), and then allowing me to join in being cheeky or naughty (I mean, not that it ever happens or anything, just hypothetically saying.....really!?!) Thank you for making me feel so relaxed, accepted and loved. Thank you for helping me at time when I've been stuck with problems, especially with my car, sometimes going out of your way and lending a hang from a last minute call out for help, I am very much appreciative of your help. Thank you for the many many laughs and great times. I am grateful for all the advice and support you have given me so far. Love you all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment