Friday 23 January 2015

January 23rd - My ability to walk

January 23rd
I am grateful to have the ability to walk. As someone who works in aged care and previously in disability, I work with and know many people who are unable to walk, either they are bed ridden, their leg muscles are too weak or their only way to get around is via a wheelchair. 

Similar to blindness and the sense of sight, people who are unable to walk learn to adapt to their condition and live life this way, finding it normal. But for some people who acquire a disability throughout their life for what ever reason, are or feel at a loss for their ability to walk. Being someone who hasn't lost the ability to walk yet, and hopefully not any time soon, am grateful that I am able to get around on my own two feet, literally.

I am grateful to have the ability to walk as I am able to exercise frequently and find it simple to get into places. Saying this however, I do have the opinion of buildings, for example shops, stores and centres to have easy wheelchair access, allowing people in wheelchairs to enter these places as easily as a person who is able to walk, without any questions.

I am grateful for the ability to walk and have power in my legs, helping me to keep fit and busy through out the day.

P.S. I am hoping I have not offended anyone with a disability, or seem like I'm rubbing it into them that I am able to walk, I admire that you are able to get around to places in wheelchairs or other mobility aids, and will help and advocate for you if necessary with disability access to buildings as well as other items you would like addressed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment