Tuesday 20 January 2015

January 20th - My eye sight

January 20th
I am grateful for my eye sight. As I work in the field of Aged care, there are many residents I care for which have failing eye sight or are in fact blind in one eye or both and manage to get through their day with the sense of touch or hearing. I see these people along with those who are blind living in society these days and admire them for 'seeing' the world in a whole different way, and are quite possibly more positive than those who have full eye sight. I am a person who wears glasses constantly and am near useless without them, perhaps because I am used to seeing the world with them on, but I am grateful to have the sense of sight, even thought it isn't the best.

It is great to have the ability to see the physical world and all its beauty. Being able to see different sceneries such as country sides, mountains and hills or if you are a city slicker, city buildings and amazing structures, is an awesome feeling. If you get the chance to look out the window of a skyscraper building, you can see your whole city as far as the eye can see, it's amazing. I am grateful for those moments, thanks to my vision.

But I am grateful to even just have eye sight to complete day to day tasks. Imagine trying to get somewhere quickly without your eye sight. You would of course use your other senses to get around and be grateful for them, but I find a gratitude of not needing to rely on those other senses as much or use another person to assist me or describe something in detail. I am so grateful to have my sense of sight to see every detail of this physical world. I mean, I am able to read words and letters, you are able to read this blog on your own without someone needing to read it out for you.

My point and objective here is that there are such simple things in life that many of us take for granted and possibly abuse, such as your own eye sight. My opinion is that a blind person would love to physically see the world with their own eye sight, and clarify whether their insightful imagination is in fact a truth / reality, for example, knowing what the colour red actually looks like or what a glass really looks like. I am grateful to have the ability to know what these things look like and having the sense of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment